In LA County, our idea of a strong community is 10.1 million people working as one. What’s your idea? Please tell us.
And there is no strength greater than strength in numbers.
Acting in a calm, systematic way after a disaster or emergency results in the best outcomes. The following steps can help you stay focused in the midst of chaos.
Take these six steps immediately following a disaster:
- Make sure the people in your household are safe.
- Activate your family or individual emergency plan.
- Turn on your television or radio and tune it to a news channel to learn whether you should evacuate or stay where you are.
- Put your “HELP” or “OK” card in your window as appropriate.
- Activate your neighborhood telephone tree to check on your neighbors.
- If your neighbors need help, organize a group or activity to help them get the assistance they need.
You will find more information regarding emergency preparedness for both adults and children at the following websites: